Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Reviews of my English writing

First and foremost, I want to thank my secondary English tuition teacher, Mr See who saved my English from the brink of withering. After having my tertiary education in UKM I cannot find someone to correct any of my English grammatical mistakes as well as the ways of speaking. Thanks to my form six Muet teacher who taught me how to improve my writing skills. My only English teacher presently are Youtube and Google. Thanks to the whole world teachers who are very generous to share their knowledge.

I always review each of my English writing when I am idle trying to improve some sentences and reducing the grammatical errors as much as I can by myself.

Recently I found that one of the shortcomings of my writing is lacking of coherence. Writing consists of many independent sentences. Therefore, coherence is much needed to make a writing felt connected and smooth. How to make an essay cohesive? By using some useful cohesive phrases such as ,

Because of this, …
As this shows, …
As can clearly be seen from this example, …
It is clear that…
Thus, the idea that…
To illustrate this, …
After analyzing both points of view, …
To provide a summary, …
Without a doubt, this causes…
In point of fact
Alternatively
In order to
I am certain that
That said
On the other hand
In addition to this
Examples are copied from http://www.ielts-blog.com/ielts-preparation-tips/writing-tips/essay-writing/ and some of my readings.

However, these cohesive phrases are more suitable in writing a discussion or an article review. To write a story needs humongous marvellous adjectives. Be it simple or bombastic words as long as we know the skills to describe or to portray the feeling and the ambience of the story.

Overall, my reviews of my writing is I had quite a number of grammatical mistakes, lacks of varieties of sentence structures, lacks of proper use of vocabulary and lacks of coherence.

There is a big room for improvement...
Gambateh Kin Luoi!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment