Monday, June 9, 2014

Chapter 2.4 Transition

USMLE step 1 was over. Now is the transition from sitting in a classroom to rounding the wards and talking to the real patients. I wait for this for so long as it is always easy to doze off in the class though medical fundamental is important.

OK, I have been having TTW for 1 week but why do I choose to write today?
There is something strikes me today!

Dr Jul keeps repeating one sentence that strikes me:
What if the patient is your father/family, would you still hesitate to talk to the terrifying nurse? Would you want some quick pain regimen for your father who is moaning and crying over the pain?
WHAT IF THE PATIENT IS YOUR FAMILY? (And I think she repeats several times as try to explain/emphasize the point to us or remove our doubts in our discussion and try to make it easy to understand.)

She reminds me to treat the patient as our family. In some points, I almost forget this and she reminds me with repetition.

Other side notes:
S: Situation
B: Background
(More on observation)
A: Assessment (The interpretation of the observation)
R: recommendation

Don't be afraid to speak up for truth and for the best sake of the patient.
What will be the worst? It just didn't get right or may be just being scolded or feeling pretty uncomfortable for us. But, it may be very harmful to the patient if we didn't speak up if something doesn't feel so right.
From Dr Jul whom I like so much. A very energetic, lively, cute Dr!!

I am glad! :)

Go!KinLuoi!

No comments:

Post a Comment